Run the State 5K and Hike Series
Welcome to the fifth annual Run the State 5K and Hike Series. Invest In Your Health Indiana, your employee wellness program, along with our partners at Anthem, ActiveHealth, and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, are excited to host the 2020 Run The State 5K and Hike series for employees and family members.
The 2020 series continues with three 5k events and two hike events on select Saturday mornings throughout spring and summer! You can sign up by clicking the “register” links below. Everyone is encouraged to participate at their own pace, so run, walk, or stroll your way to the finish line. Join fellow state employees who are making the commitment to get out and get moving.
Sign up to receive updates about the Run the State 5K and Hike Series
2020 5K & Hike Schedule
Ouabache State Park
- June 27 – 5K
Race day recap
Spring Mill State Park
- July 11 – Hike
Fort Harrison State Park
- August 15 – 5K and Hike | The 5K race route is paved and will include moderate elevation changes. The 5K course is stroller friendly. Choose from three different self-guided hikes: Schoen Creek Trail (difficult 3 miles), Fall Creek Trail (moderate 1 mile), Tree ID Trail (easy 1 mile).
Indiana Dunes State Park
- October 17 (rescheduled) – 5K | Paved race route that includes several turns and small hills. Course is stroller friendly.
There is no cost to register for a 5K or hike, but participants are required to pay $7 per vehicle at the gate for state park entrance. Entrance fees allow access for the entire day. After the 5K or hike event, you can explore other trails with your family or invite your colleagues to a picnic in the park.
Staggered start times will be implemented in order to help maintain social distancing. Start times will be staggered in fifteen minute increments, with the first start time taking off at 8 a.m., the next at 8:15 a.m., and so on.
Click on the registration links above for more information on hike times. While you may register for more than one event, keep in mind that there are registration limits for each park.
Race day guidelines
The following COVID-19 guidelines have been established to ensure as much as possible your safety at any Run the State Hike and 5K event. You are required to follow these guidelines for your safety and the safety of others. Please use your good judgment and common sense at all times.
- If you are sick or think you are coming down with something, stay home. Before you arrive, please self-screen for any of the following signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19:
- Known close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Current illness: cough, chills, a cold, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, diarrhea.
- Loss of taste or smell.
- Feeling feverish or have a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Maintain social distancing. Social distancing of at least six feet (6’) is suggested at all times.
- Wash your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer when available. Hand sanitizer will be available at the registration area, and contact-less registration will be available.
- Wearing a mask or facial covering is encouraged while you are in the shelter area for check-in and t-shirt pick-up area, both before and after the race. We encourage you to wear a mask while checking-in before the race and picking-up your t-shirt after the race. It is recommended that one person per party enter the shelter area and check-in & pick-up for the entire party. Do not enter the registration area unless you are checking in.
- Bring your own water and water bottle.
The 2020 Run the State Hike & 5K t-shirts will be available for pick-up AFTER you complete your 5K or hike. We encourage you to wear a mask while picking up your t-shirt, and it is recommended that one person per party enter the shelter area and pick up t-shirts for the entire party.
While you’re visiting Indiana’s state parks for the Run the State 5K and Hike Series, take the opportunity to explore more of the state parks by completing the Run the State Series Scavenger Hunt!
Complete the scavenger hunt challenges to gain entries to win one of four 2021 Indiana State Park passes. Each completed challenge will count as one entry into the prize drawing. Complete the scavenger hunt at each Run the State event to increase your total number of entries.