Moving more this winterposted by Brent Brown on December 21, 2020
Well, the weather outside is (sometimes) frightful, but you can make winter a lot more delightful (and healthy) by staying physically active.
Check out these tips from the Anthem Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and learn more about EAP for state of Indiana employees here.
- Bundle up and walk. Layer as much as you need to and walk to a friend’s house, walk the dog with your children, or just take a lap or two around the block.
- Exercise while you watch TV. Start by walking in place at commercial breaks.
- Do some house walking. Set your phone timer for 15 minutes and walk or run up and down your steps until the alarm goes off.
- Take two laps of a fast-paced walk around the outermost aisles of a store when you’re shopping.
- Turn off the TV and turn on the music. Have a dance hour with your family. Nothing burns calories like a house party!
- Ignore the elevator. Who needs a climbing machine when there are stairs?
- Look into options for indoor sports. Try indoor cycling, swimming, or volleyball; mall walking; and dancing. Some places even have indoor soccer teams for adults and kids.