ActiveHealth: How to look after your mental healthposted by Brent Brown on April 19, 2021
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being.
It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood.
It is important to take care of yourself and get the most from life! Here are a few ways you can look after your mental health:
- Talk about your feelings. This can help you stay in good mental health and deal with times when you feel troubled.
- Keep active – Exercise can boost your self-esteem and can help you concentrate, sleep, and feel better. By being active, your brain and other vital organs stay healthy.
- Eat well – Your brain needs a mixture of nutrients to stay healthy and function well, just like other organs in your body. A healthy diet is good for your physical health and your mental health.
- Drink sensibly – We often drink alcohol to change our mood. Some people drink to deal with fear or loneliness, but the effect is only temporary. When the drink wears off, you feel worse because of the way alcohol has affected your brain and the rest of your body, Drinking is not a good way to manage difficult feelings.
- Keep in touch – There is nothing better than catching up with someone face to face, but that’s not always possible. You can also give them a call, drop them a note, or chat with them online instead.
- Ask for help! – Nobody is superhuman; sometimes we get tired and overwhelmed by how we feel or when things don’t go to plan. Ask for help! Your friends and family may be able to offer practical help or a listening ear.
- Take a break – A change of scene, or just a change of pace is good for mental health! This is a good way to reset and disconnect, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
- Do something you’re good at – Read a book, do a craft, go on a hike — anything that you like and enjoy! This is a great way to disconnect and beat stress. Also, doing something you enjoy and that you’re good at is a great way to boost self-esteem.
- Accept who you are – Everyone is different, and it is much healthier to accept that you are unique than to wish you were more like someone else. Feeling good about yourself boosts your confidence, and having good self-esteem helps you cope when life takes a difficult turn.
- Care for others – Caring for others can bring people closer together.
If you’re looking for more information to help you on your health journey, be sure to visit MyActiveHealth. There is a wealth of information on this website regarding many different health and wellness topics. Other resources:
- Call to schedule: 855-202-4219
Login to MyActiveHealth Engagement Platform
Download the ActiveHealth Mobile App
- Located in the App store and Google Play