ActiveYou: Tips for managing your medicine in 2019posted by Brent Brown on October 2, 2019
It can be hard to keep track of when and how to take medicines, and the more medicines you take, the harder it can be to keep it all organized.
Here are some ideas from ActiveHealth Management that you can use to help straighten out your medicine cabinet.
The first step in keeping track of your medicines is to know what you’re taking.
- Make a list of the medicines you take. Bring it to every doctor visit. Be sure family members have a copy. Update it whenever your medicine changes.
- Know what each medicine is for and what side effects to watch for. Ask your doctor or health care provider when and who to call if you think your medicine is causing a problem.
- Know when you’ll run out of each medicine. Write refill reminders on a calendar or on your phone. Or use automatic refill reminders from your pharmacy.
- Know what to do if you miss a dose. Talk to your doctor about each medicine you take. What you do about a missed dose could be different for each medicine.
- Make sure your medicines haven’t expired. Ask your pharmacist how to get rid of expired medicines safely.
It’s also important to have a medicine routine — and to try to keep it daily. Make sure you follow the same schedule each day.
Here are some more timely tips:
- Find activities that you do at the same time you need to take your medicine. Use these activities to remind yourself.
- Set an alarm on your phone or watch to remind you when to take your medicine.
- Use sticky notes. Put them in places that you’ll easily see, such as on a mirror or refrigerator door.
Lastly, a pillbox can be a great way to keep your medicines organized.
- Use a plastic pillbox with dividers for each day’s medicines. There are small pillboxes and larger boxes and even ones with timers. Choose which type works best for you.
- Put your pillbox in a spot where it’ll remind you to take your medicine. For example, if you take medicine after meals, keep the pillbox on the table where you eat.
- Keep one pill in its bottle. If you forget what a pill is for, just look at the bottle.
- A few types of medicine might need to be stored in their original containers so they don’t spoil. If any of your medicine has this instruction, don’t use a pillbox for it.
For more information on how to stay healthy each and every day of the year, visit your ActiveHealth portal.
MyActiveHealth.com is a digital gateway to help you manage your health and well-being. Best of all, it’s designed around you. You choose your goals, and you set the pace. And, it’s easy and fun to use. You’ll find many items, such as a health assessment, online learning tools, healthy recipes, and more. Sign up for visit myactivehealth.com/stateofindiana today!