Recipe: Healthy Fiesta Meatloafposted by Jeff Mullins on September 16, 2013
Healthy Fiesta Meatloaf
-1 c. finely chopped organic yellow squash
-½ c. finely chopped organic bell pepper
-½ c. organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
-½ c. organic corn (drained)
-1 small organic onion or ½ of a large onion
-3 cloves of organic garlic, minced
-1 tsp dried cilantro (or fresh cilantro to taste)
-½ tsp chili powder
-1 package organic taco seasoning
-1 lb. ground turkey
-½ c. whole wheat Panko bread crumbs
-½ c. low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
-½ c. fresh or organic canned salsa
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Saute onions, squash, peppers, and garlic until cooked, and add cilantro, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg with the taco seasoning.
- Combine the egg mixture with the meat, and then add in bread crumbs, cooled vegetable mixture, ¼ c. of shredded cheese, and ¼ cup of salsa.
- Put mixture into a well-sprayed or greased loaf pan.
- Cover loaf with the other ¼ c. of salsa.
- Cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with remaining ¼ c. of cheese.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from oven and serve with salsa, avocado, or plain greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute.