Recipe: Quinoa Sun Saladposted by Jeff Mullins on September 16, 2013
Quinoa Sun Salad
-1 c. quinoa, rinsed
-2 c. water
-2 tbsp. honey
-1/4 c. lemon juice
-1/2 tsp. coarse salt
-3 tbsp. olive oil
-2 medium tart apples (Granny Smith, Gravenstein, Jonathan, etc…)
-1/3 c. golden raisins
-1/3 c. finely chopped fresh parsley
-1/2 c. coarsely chopped almonds
-2 tsp. cinnamon
-1 pinch coarse salt & pepper
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the quinoa and water, and then bring them to a boil
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender (DO NOT overcook) and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, stir, and let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lemon juice, and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the oil until blended.
- Toast almonds
- Peel and dice apples
- Add the apple, celery, raisins, cinnamon, and almonds to the quinoa
- Roll parsley between hands as you add it to the salad to release the flavor.
- Toss the ingredients together.
- Add the dressing and toss once more to coat the salad.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
This salad can be made the day before, covered tightly, and refrigerated.