ActiveYou: Self-care isn’t selfishposted by Brent Brown on December 2, 2019
Taking care of your body is the key to good health at every age.
It can help slow down or even prevent problems. Self-care involves making informed decisions about any health issues and getting preventive care. Awareness, prevention and early detection can keep you healthy!
Self-care can mean:
- Getting daily physical activity
- Making healthy food and drink choices
- Keeping a healthy weight
- Having routine preventive care
- Knowing your health numbers
- Getting good quality sleep
- Managing stress
- Quitting tobacco
Make an appointment for a check up with your health care provider today!
Self-care: A closer look
Self-care is what you do to take care of our mental, emotional and physical health. It’s so simple. But many of us may overlook this important aspect of life.
- Can improve your mood
- Can reduce anxiety
- Is important for a good relationship with others and with ourselves
When you’re feeling stressed out you may feel physical or emotional tension.
Stress is often related to negative events, like losing a job. But it can also come from something positive, like planning a wedding.
The best way to deal with stress is through self-care! Try these tips when you’re feeling stressed.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol. In the long run, they create more problems and add to your stress instead of taking it away.
- Find support. Having someone to listen can really lighten your load.
- Connect socially. Make sure you spend time with loved ones.
- Take care of yourself. Eat well, get plenty of sleep and exercise regularly.
- Stay active. Take your mind off problems by seeing friends, helping a neighbor or volunteering.